When we only had a few animals it was easy to keep track of numbers. In the last year or so as the quantity has both increased and fluctuated – births, deaths, holidays, sales – I’ve become less attentive to absolute numbers. Today I decided to remedy that, so I counted them all.
The official roll call as at the end of September 2011 is:
- 2 cows (Wrath and Avarice)
- 2 Alpacas (Verdigris and Algy)
- 5 goats: 2 Angora (Boris and Bertie), 2 pygmy (Ishy and Moby) and 1 other (Howard)
- 20 pigs: 1 boar (Sir Humphrey), 4 sows (Bernard, Hacker, Snowball and Hacker) and 15 others ranging from 4 week old piglets, to some near adults who are soon to go on holiday
- 67 sheep: 12 OAPs (though technically three of them are lambs), 6 Borerays (Haan, Duchess, Leelou, Leia and the two castrated boys), 1 Soay ram (Muga), 48 others (including White Face, Mouton, Lafite, Luke, Lamby and 35 of this years lambs)
- 3 geese
- 7 Cayuga ducks
- 5 chickens
For a grand total of 111 farm animals! We once peaked at 150 animals, so really we’re doing well on our reduction plan. By the end of the year I think this should be down to around 80, which shouldn’t be too tough over the winter.