The chickens move around a lot, which makes counting them rather tricky. However, I think there are only eighteen of the ex-bats left. I’ve counted several times and not counted the nineteenth. I’ve scoured round the orchard area, but not yet found the body. This could mean a number of things:
- The body is under a particularly big tuft of grass.
- She flew off. Possibly south, after all it’s been rather chilly.
- She’s hiding from me – unlikely given how excited they get about food.
- A fox got her – unlikely as all the others are still there.
- I can’t count – possible given how much they move about. Really, they jitter all over the place, climb over each other and all sorts.
I hope she hasn’t really gone missing.
Also, the ex-bats are still not laying. Not a single egg in two weeks from them. The others are laying quite happily, between two and four a day. I guess I can’t complain as I wouldn’t know what to do with any excess eggs. Still, it’s the principle of the thing!