Having sorted out the bulk of the sheep I thought it worth checking on the goats. The pygmies were fine as usual, and Howard’s fleece was coming off naturally, but Boris needed some attention.
Her fleece is so thick that it keeps her very very warm. It also hides lots of nasty lice and suchlike. I tried to shear some of the fleece off to help cool her, but after twenty minutes of struggling with it I’d managed to cut away a patch about a foot square, and not even get it close to her skin. I gave up and concentrated on dagging her. Her bottom was fairly messy, but as much because her fleece was so long it would catch almost anything coming out!
Alex had also asked me to look at her face, both to treat it for lice and to clear some of the fleece out of the way so she could see. I did my best to clip around so she could see, and did get a lot away. I’m not sure she was happy with her hair cut though:
Then it was hoof time. She had scald affecting all four of her hooves, and I treated them all with blue spray, and trimmed the hooves back down to the right shape. I’ll probably need to do her hooves again in another couple of weeks to get the scald under control. I’m hoping that, combined with the warm weather should clear it up completely, for a while at least.
Then I put spot-on onto her. This kills lice and other such nasties. I put an extra bit on the back of her head to deal with the ones which had been bothering her face.
Her MOT was completed with a good spraying of Clik, and when I finally let her go she trotted off with only a brief admonitory bleat.
We do need to get her sheared soon though – or maybe I should try again…